The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), on Monday, January 28, ordered all lawyers in Nigeria to boycott the courts across the nation for two days between Tuesday, January 29, and Wednesday, January 30, to protest the crisis in the judiciary.
The action, according to the NBA, is protest what it called the alleged constitutional infractions in the suspension of Walter Onnoghen as Chief Justice of Nigeria.
The umbrella body of the Nigerian lawyers made the decision at an emergency meeting of its National Executive Committee (NEC) held at the NBA House, Plot 1101 Muhamadu Buhari Way, Cadastral Zone A00 Central Area, Abuja, according to Sahara Reporters.
The report said only the statutory NEC members attended the meeting and these are the national officers, past presidents, past general secretaries, branch chairmen, branch secretaries, branch NEC representatives and chairmen and secretaries of sections
RESOLUTION FROM THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING OF THE NIGERIAN BAR ASSOCIATION
1) NBA Condemns the unconstitutional suspension of our CJN.
2) NBA recognized Walter Onnoghen as the CJN.
3) NBA to commence a two day warning strike with from effect tomorrow ie 29th and 30th January, 2019.
4) A three man committee has been set up to interface with our learned colleagues in Government to prevail on the President Buhari to reinstate the CJN.
5) NBA will not and never recognise Tanko Mohammed as acting CJN.
6) NEC ratified all actions taken by the President of the Bar as it relates to the suspension of the CJN.