Lulu-Briggs widow calls on Dumo, others to help bury husband

…Says autopsy report has confirmed her innocence


Kelechi Esogwa-Amadi

Widow of Late High Chief Dr Olu Benson Lulu-Briggs, Dr Mrs Seinye O.B. Lulu-Briggs has called on all members of the Lulu-Briggs family, friends, well wishers, the people of Abonnema and the entire Kalabari Kingdom to join hands with her to bury her husband.

Dr Mrs Seinye Lulu-Briggs made the call on Tuesday immediately after the official release of the report of the autopsy test conducted on her husband’s corpse on July 19, 2019 at 37 Military Hospital, Accra, Ghana.

The report showed that her husband, High Chief Dr O.B. Lulu-Briggs, died from natural causes, meaning that his death was not manipulated.

She had been accused by her husband’s second older son, Dumo Lulu-Briggs, of having a hand in the death of her husband, an allegation for which she was petitioned to the Inspector-General of Police sometime in April last year.

As part of the investigation to ascertain whether High Chief O.B. Lulu-Briggs’ death was manipulated, the police directed that an autopsy be conducted.

However, a spate of legal suits between Dr Mrs Seinye O.B. Lulu-Briggs and her step son, Dumo Lulu-Briggs have precluded the release of the autopsy report since it was conducted last year till it was released on Tuesday.

In a statement signed by Dr Mrs Seinye O.B. Lulu-Briggs and made available to the media, she said the report has confirmed that she is innocent of the murder allegation made against her by Dumo Lulu-Briggs, expressing hope that the allegation and attacks against her by the older sons of her husband have come to an end.

The statement reads: “Today, Tuesday, February 11, 2020, in Accra, Ghana, the report of the autopsy which was carried out on my beloved husband, High Chief Dr O.B. Lulu-Briggs’ body at 37 Military Hospital in Accra, Ghana on July 19, 2019, was made public.

“As expected, the autopsy report concluded that he died from natural causes. There was no foul play. Indeed, this confirms the preliminary findings which I made a statement about at the time.

“I give glory, thanks, honour and praise to God Almighty, in whom my family and I trust fully, that my innocence has been confirmed.

“My husband was such a wonderful, God-fearing and loving man. He was, by God’s grace, an accomplished and distinguished elder statesman, business mogul and philanthropist. I loved, adored and cared for him all the years we lived together as one. And I miss him dearly. We all do.

“It is public knowledge that soon after he passed into glory, our family came under a vitriolic attack by our three older sons, Senibo, Dumo and Sofiri. It is my fervent prayer that the resulting false, shameful, satanic lies and rumors regarding the manner of our patriarch’s passing, including the preposterous allegation that I killed him, can now be laid to rest once and for all.

“I want to thank all those families, friends and well wishers who stood by us through what has been a most harrowing and painful experience. Now, more than ever before, I understand the trauma that widows experience in our communities when they lose their husbands and are extremely vulnerable. As a Christian, I have forgiven all those who have maligned me and my family.

“Since my husband peacefully transited to glory, my top priority has been to ensure that he is accorded the dignified Christian burial that he wanted. There is no justifiable reason why we should not have granted his wish by now.

“He was a good man: he lived a long, illustrious life in love and service to humanity.

“I call on all members of our family, our Abonnema community, the Kalabari Kingdom and our friends to come together and let us bury my husband, our legendary leader, father and friend, High Chief Dr O.B. Lulu-Briggs. It’s the very least that we can do to honour and pay due respects to his memory as we thank God for the privilege of having known him.”