Two children have been burnt to death while 23 others were severely burnt following a gas explosion at Aduke Street, off Ojo Road, Ajegunle area of Apapa on Thursday.
Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, the Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, who confirmed said that two children were burnt to death in the incident.
“Upon arrival at the scene of the incident, it was discovered that a gas cylinder store had exploded as a result of gas leakage. Further investigations revealed that the fire was ignited as a result of a call being made by an unidentified resident which escalated to other nearby shops and a bungalow behind the shops.
“Unfortunately, two children ( male and female) lost their lives and multiple burn casualties were recorded; a total of Twenty Three (23) in number,” he said.
He disclosed further that all the casualties were subsequently being evacuated to the Burn Unit, Gbagada General Hospital.
“The entire area has been cordoned and post-disaster assessment is ongoing,”