AD

Mob kills man over alleged phone theft in Calabar

A young man identified as Eyo has been killed by a mob for allegedly stealing a phone.

The deceased, a 22-year-old was set ablaze on Sunday evening at the Atimbo area of Calabar Municipality Local Government Area of Cross River State.

An eyewitness told NAN that the deceased was known for petty stealing and had been warned severally.

The source said the boy allegedly stole a phone on Saturday, left the community, and reappeared on Sunday.

“I know Eyo from secondary school, he has always been stealing. There was a time he stole half of the class school fees.

“This is not the first time a mob action was carried out on him, he only met his end today,” he said.

The witness recalled the angry mob beating the alleged thief with cutlass before setting him on fire.

Police Public Relations Officer, SP Irene Ugbo condemned the lynching, saying it was unlawful for people to take laws into their hands.

The spokesperson said the matter should have been reported, adding that jungle justice is “unacceptable, barbaric, and illegal.”

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

More Top Stories

Rivers Egi Monarch Summons DPO Over Alleged Police Extortion
‎Nigerian AI Firm Launches Specialised Agents for Enterprises
N1BN For Champions League Exit?
Tinubu Signs Order To End Excessive Oil Revenue Deductions
PENGASSAN Condemns Tinubu’s Executive Order on Oil Revenues
Nigerians Hold Their Hearts In Their Hands As FIFA Nears Verdict