Victor Osimhen, the Galatasaray and super Eagles hitman has revealed he felt mistreated by his former club before completing his move to Galatasaray, claiming he was treated “like a dog” despite interest from Juventus.
According to the recent report from Football Italia on Tuesday, speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport, the Nigerian international confirmed that Juventus, through their sporting director Cristiano Giuntoli, attempted to sign him in 2024 before he completed an initial loan move to Galatasaray, which was later made permanent.
Then Victor Osimhen responded; “Yes, but he could have been at two other top Serie A clubs today,” Osimhen said. “[Ex-Juventus director] Giuntoli called me to take me to Juve before negotiations with Galatasaray began. He spoke with a couple of people from the club.
The club really showed interest, but he knew that the Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis] wouldn’t let me leave. In any case, the interest was definitely there. And when Juventus calls, regardless of everything, you sit down and listen.”
Unarguably, Victor Osimhen played a tremendous role in Napoli’s 2022-23 Serie A title triumphunder Luciano Spalletti, finishing as the league’s top scorer. However, relations between the striker and the club deteriorated the following season.
Also Read: Nigerians Hold Their Hearts In Their Hands As FIFA Nears Verdict
In the month of September 2023, it could be recalled that the Naples posted a TikTok video mocking Osimhen after he missed a penalty against Bologna, an incident the Nigerian says marked a turning point.
The 27-year old Nigerian international said that —“after Napoli posted that video on TikTok, something broke. Anyone can miss a penalty, and anyone can be mocked for it. Napoli did it only to me, and with certain kinds of insinuations as well. I was the victim of racist insults, and I made my decision. I wanted to leave.”
The Turkish based striker added that no public apology was ever issued, and dismissed rumours about disciplinary issues as “lies.”
Despite the fact that Victor Osimhen actually signed a contract extension in December 2023, the player revealed there was a gentleman’s agreement allowing him to leave the following summer — and from a clear understanding he believes that was not respected.
He said that —“The club tried to send him anywhere to play, but they treated him like a dog. Go here, go there, do this, do that. He worked so hard to build his career, and he couldn’t accept that kind of treatment. “I’m not a puppet.”
Victor Osimhen also disclosed that Antonio Conte, appointed Napoli coach in 2024, wanted him to stay.
“As soon as he arrived, Conte called me into his office and said he was aware of the situation but that, despite everything, he wanted me to stay. I said I would have liked to work with him, but I had already made my decision. I didn’t want to keep working in a place where I didn’t feel happy.”
Osimhen says he has found renewed happiness in Istanbul now in his second season at Galatasaray.
