AD

Cholera outbreak kills 19 in Bayelsa

The Bayelsa State Ministry of Health says no fewer than 30 communities had been hit by the epidemic, which has claimed 19 persons as of Sunday.

It was learnt following the outbreak across 30 communities, Governor Douye Diri had reportedly ordered a supply of oral cholera vaccines to stop its spread.

Commissioner for Health, Dr Pabara Newton Igwele, said the government has established local governments’ Rapid Response Teams (RRT) to ensure active surveillance and response to any case of acute gastroenteritis or suspected cholera.

The statement explained that the state in partnership with the World Health Organisation (WHO) had also sent vaccines to LGA headquarters and select healthcare facilities to support the management of the outbreak.

The commissioner advised the general public to be calm as the government was working at all levels to control and contain the situation as soon as possible.

He added: “The Bayelsa public is also strongly advised to use safe and clean water for drinking and other purposes as well as maintain good personal and environmental hygiene which are critical to prevent and control the transmission of waterborne diseases such as cholera.

“We assure all Bayelsans that with the proper care and treatment given by the state government, the outbreak will soon be a thing of the past and the lives of Bayelsans will be preserved.”

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

More Top Stories

The Silent Chemical Turning Our Foods From Organic To Poison
Burna Boy Sets Social Media on Fire With New Ride
Rivers United’s Arch-rivals Receive Millions
‘Napoli Treated Me Like An Ekuke’ – Osimhen
JOHESU Warns of Instability If Health Laws Are Amended
NUJ Celebrates 2026 World Radio Day