Rice water; whether fermented or boiled contains an amino acid, vitamins and other nutrients that are required for healthy hair. Whether you are on a natural or permed journey, rice water will help you achieve your hair goal.
Did you know that there is a tribe called Red Yao in a Chinese village called Huangluo, popularly known as the land of Rapunzels? They got this name because, for ages, their women use rice water to wash and nourish their hair. It even has a certification from the Guinness Book Of World Records as the ‘world’s longest hair village’. Can you believe that?
Now, there are two ways to use rice water for your hair. There is the Fermenting process and the boiling process. Whichever one of the processes you choose, ensure to apply the water on your hair just once a week.
Fermentation brings down the pH levels of the rice water to that of your hair and helps close the cuticles, thereby protecting the hair.
Fermenting rice water enhances the existing vitamins and nutrients levels in it, which nourish your hair follicles. It promotes healthy hair growth and improves the overall condition of your hair.
Benefits of Using Rice Water
- Rice water improves hair growth
- Rice water reduces split ends
- Protects hair from damage.
- Smoothens and strengthens hair roots
- Cures Dandruff
- Rids hair of lice
- Gives your hair a silky and shiny look
Also Read: UNIPORT promotes 37 lecturers to Professors
How To Make Fermented Rice Water
- Take a cup of rice and soak it in two cups of water. Keep it aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Strain the rice to extract the water.
- Transfer the liquid you obtain to a jar and leave it there for a day or two at room temperature.
- When you notice a sour smell emanating from the jar, stop the fermentation and shift the jar to the fridge.
- Add a cup or two of warm water before you use the fermented rice water as it is highly potent and direct use is not recommended.
How To Make Boiled Rice Water
- Put 2 cups of rice in a pot and fill it with water (It could be white, brown or basmati).
- Add more water than you usually use to cook.
- Boil the rice for some time. When it has boiled for about 10 minutes, take the extra water on top of the rice or you can wait till the rice is cooked then you strain the excess water from the pot.
- This water will be a highly concentrated cloudy liquid.
Now that you know how to get your fermented or boiled rice water, it is time to know how to apply it on your hair to get that long, healthy and smooth hair.
For that healthy hair with rice water, apply rice water to your hair after washing, leave the rice water in for 15 to 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water. It is advised to use rice water only once a week