How much do you know about your favourite superstar, Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu (born 2 July 1991), popularly known as Burna Boy, a Nigerian singer, songwriter, rapper, and dancer? He is one of the biggest and most successful African artists.
Here are 10 things you possibly didn’t know about the Grammy award superstar:
- His first studio record was at Leriq Treehouse Studio Port Harcourt, and his first gig on stage was in December 2010 at the Calabar Carnival.
- During a performance, he once broke his leg and rib after falling off a stage.
- His role models are Fela Anikulapo Kuti , 2Face and Sizzla Kalonji.
- Robbery was the first song recorded by Burna Boy, which was on the beat of “Step Back” by Freeway featuring Lil’ Wayne.
- At the age of 15, Burna Boy got his first tattoo. He says the tattoos are representative of him artistically. He has more than 12 tattoos and has a tattoo of his role model, Kuti Fela, on his arm.
- He is a brand ambassador for Head Honcho Clothing.
- He is the first Nigerian with back to back nominations at the Grammys
- Burna Boy first album titled “L.I.F.E” sold over 50 000 copies on the first day of release.
- In 2013, the Nigeria Entertainment Awards awarded him the Best New Act of the Year.
- In May 2012, Burna Boy released a single titled “Like to Party”, which saw his rise to prominence.